WP1: Management and Coordination
WP2: Development of Modelling Framework
- To develop a modelling framework to predict air quality (AQ) and related health indices in Latin America, specifically in industrialized regions and metropolitan areas, by using an ensemble of multi-scale chemical-transport models.
- To share technology, tools and datasets and on making them available and sustainable over longterm.
WP3: Surface Emissions
- To provide the surface emissions necessary for the work planned in the other WPs.
- To develop of an inventory of surface emissions for Latin America.
- To analyze different datasets providing emissions or ancillary data in Latin America.
- To develop e-training sessions and tools for the users of the datasets.
WP4: Space Observations in Support of Air Pollution Forecasts
- To establish the extent to which satellite measurements of air quality relevant trace gases and aerosols can be used to aid forecasting for urban, industrial, and agricultural regions within Latin America.
- To evaluate how satellite data can be used for assimilation, emissions inventories, and trend analysis.
- To define best practices for relating column and profile data derived from satellite to surface measurements.
WP5: Ground-based Observations and Model Evaluation
- To evaluate the concentration fields of chemical species derived from analysis and forecast simulations.
- To compare the different models against each other, in order to provide an assessment of uncertainties, to identify the weaknesses of the model, and to improve their performance
- To provide the necessary data and tools to statistically quantify the model accuracy.
WP6: Transfer of Knowledge, Education and Capacity Building
- To understand the governance structure involved in air quality policy for each LAC country.
- To identify and establish contact with potential users of the air quality forecast system such as government’s bodies, weather services, environmental authorities at various levels and the public.
- To develop the transfer of knowledge to partners and institutions outside the project consortium.
- To promote the Papila products, and teach and support users to apply the products successfully in their operational tasks.
- To develop or support educational and capacity building activities.